If you have a high or healthy level of self-esteem you will exhibit certain personality traits. Some of these are:
- You have confidence in your abilities and you feel secure about who you are
- You give yourself permission to show your true feelings to others
- Your relationships are devoid of intimacy problems
- You take pride in yourself and positively recognise your achievements in life
- You find it very easy to forgive both yourself and others for mistakes made.
- You greet each day with optimism
- You easily, often and fondly remember the good times in your past
As with the recognisable traits of high or healthy self-esteem, if you struggle with problems of self-worth or low self-esteem you may be noticing some of the following traits in yourself:
- You always try to conceal your true feelings
- You lack the ability to forgive both yourself and others, often holding grudges
- It is difficult for you to show and/or accept intimacy in your relationships
- You often feel insecure and lack belief in yourself and your abilities
- You always forget to pat yourself on the back for jobs well done
- At every opportunity you resist change
- You greet each day with a feeling of dread
- You constantly find yourself reminiscing about all the awful and regretful things that have happened to you in the past - even stuff from long ago.
Next post we will look at some tips to developing higher levels of self-esteem.